This is a personal list made by a Danish-born, Singapore-based artist and her Danish friends in film, architecture and design. Enjoy!
TOP 10 + 2016
Read it like an insider.
CPH = Copenhagen | AAR: Aarhus
- CPH: NOMA style, forage wild and edible plants on Amager (check out the app byhoest.dk)
- AAR: Dokk1 (award winning library) - free entry - check out the island buildings
- CPH: GRO, rooftop open farming, super cool (www.facebook.com/farmengro)
- CPH: Goboat. Rent a solar driven picnic boat for a couple of hours - you can bring your own picnic or place an online order with them, including wine
- AAR: Moesgaard (Momo) by Henning Larsen
- AAR+CPH: Check out yummy leftovers from the restaurants on a clever new app: Too Good To Go
- CPH: Christiania - the old hippie quarter (every Sunday in summer they have open air concerts in Café Nemoland)
- AAR: Varna, wonderful locations, beautiful walks!
- AAR: S’vinbar (winebar)
- CPH: Nimb Hotel (luxury)
- Lusiana (beautiful, a bit out of town)
- The Design Museum
- Statens Museum for Kunst (The National Gallery)
- Ordrupgaard Museum (Zaha Hadid did the extension of the museum)
- Your kids will love the Planetarium and Experimentarium museums
- Botanical Gardens
- Kongens have (the Kings Garden) and all the shops around it!
- Hang out in the cozy garden oasis Byhaven during summer and listen to free concerts with upcoming artists
- NOMA style, forage wild and edible plants on Amager (check out the app byhoest.dk)
- The black diamond (den sorte diamant)
- Do not miss the Opera, designed by Henning Larsen!
- Bjarke Ingels: 8-tallet (Ørestaden) and kraftværk
- Sp34 (hip!)
- St Petri (top location)
- Admiral Hotel (by the sea)
- Hotel Ipsen
- Royal Hotel in the center - a living monument for Arne Jacobsen!
- D’angleterre (the Raffles of Copenhagen)
- Nimb (luxury)
- Great AirBnB options!
- GRO, rooftop open farming, super cool (www.facebook.com/farmengro)
- Restaurant høst
- Kokkenes Torvehaller - a great food market, Isralsplads
- Kødbyen (the meat packing district) with a lot of great restaurants - do not miss “Fiskebaren!!” - the Fishbar
- PapirOen (the paper island)
- Cafe Victor in the center. An institution, where all the yuppies went - and still go!
- Restaurant Pluto
- Restaurant Geist
- The Market (New - Asian food)
- Kaffesalonen (for coffee and drinks by the lakes)
- Best pizza in town: Rooftop ILLUMS
- The Jane Sip
- Salon 39
- Bar 7
- Wood Wood
- Lot 29
- Wettergren Wettergren
- Still leben
- Rue vert
- Paustian 5 min out of the city centre
- Gothersgade: stine goya
- Hay design
- Stilleben design
- Illums bolighus
- Goboat. Rent a solar driven picnic boat for a couple of hours - you can bring your own picnic or place an online order with them, including wine
- Rent bikes at østerport station, drive through frederiksstaden through amalienborg (the queens castle, the little mermaid, nyhavn (habour) to islands brygge and the bike bridge
- Christiania - the old hippie quarter. (every Sunday in summer they have open air concerts in Café Nemoland)
- Go for a show at the Royal Theatre
The tourist trail
- If you have lots of time…..Take an excursion to Helsingør. Go by train and see Kronborg - the scene of Prince Hamlet. And from Helsingør, take the ferry to Helsingborg in Sweden - will take you about 20 min. !
- The Little Mermaid, yes, she is indeed tiny (but cute...:-)
- Shopping on Strøget, Magasin og Illum
- Tivoli (go on Friday’s for free local outdoors rock concerts)
- Roll through the streets of Copenhagen with thousands of locals at the Friday night skate during summer
- If you like graffiti, Hall Of Fame in Sydhavnen is a must. Visit it before it gets demolished for new residences!
Museums (must see!)
- AROS (Modern art) - by Smith, Hammer og Lassen (friends of my dad) and walk the rainbow by Olafur Eliasson
- Moesgaard (Momo) by Henning Larsen
- Dokk1 (award winning library) - free entry - check out the island buildings
- Musikhuset (the Music House)
- Rådhuset (the city hall by Arne Jacobsen)
- Universitets Parken (The University)
- The yearly Jazz Festival at “Bispetovet”
- Århus Ø. Market
- Provence Hotel (charming, like the South of France with outside garden)
- Not much actually! Check out AirBnB instead...
- Restaurant ET
- Casablanca and Carlton - (where I used to hang out when I lived there!)
- S’vinbar (winebar)
- Substans, Gastromet and Frederikshoej (Expensive Michelin style dining)
- Sjette Frederiks Kro (eating traditional danish food in the forest with sea view)
- Varna, wonderful locations, beautiful walks!
- Can Blau, Klostertorv
- Teaterbodega (an institution of really old fashioned Danish food, men love this place!)
- Cafe Drudenfuss
- Check out yummy leftovers from the restaurants on a clever new app: Too Good To Go
- Mindeparken and the Queens Castle (when the queen is in town)
- Latinerkvateret (the Latin Quarters)
The tourist trail
- Den Gamle By (the old town, an oldie, but goodie!).